Dancehall artiste Rygin King is refuting claims that he is paralyzed.
The rumors started to circulate on Sunday afternoon after vloggers uploaded videos on YouTube claiming the 25-year-old Tuff deejay was wheelchair-bound.
Speaking with Jamaica Observer, a close source to Rygin King said he was not paralyzed despite the chatter online.
“The deejay is not paralysed. I cannot go into specifics about his medical condition but the deejay is responding favourably to treatment and he has tingling in his legs…and he has feeling and is responding to stimulus in his lower legs and extremities. We want people to stop the rumour-spreading and speculation about the deejay’s health at this time,” the source said.
Rygin King, given name Matthew Smith, was shot and injured on Sunday, June 28 after leaving a funeral in Westmoreland.
Reports are that he was travelling in a convoy in Bethel Town when one of the cars was involved in a collision. While repairs were being done another car drove up and a passenger alighted and peppered the bystanders with bullets, including the deejay.
A woman, 28-year-old, Sashalee Blackwood was shot and killed in the incident, while another recording artiste, Goon, was shot in his foot.
Last week Tuesday, July 28, the One King broke his silence after being shot.
“Just wanted to let you know Rygin King is sending a heartfelt thank you to all well wishers, family and friends for their prayers and thoughts during this difficult time,” Rygin King’s management team said in a post uploaded to his official Instagram account.
The Montego Bay-based deejay said he was gaining strength and courage to make a full recovery.
“I will live through this ordeal and I can take the next step that comes along with the Most High by my side. My fans show me the support and I am going to make them proud. Just know ‘One King’ soon step out.” he said.
Rygin King also thanked the hospital staff for providing him with the best care possible. He also made special mention of Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, Olivia Grange, Dr Chris Tufton, Minister of Health, and Dr Horace Chang, Minister of National Security, for their immediate response and direction.